Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Breakfast - preparation is key!



For a lot of people starting on paleo, I've heard of a lot of trouble with breakfast, especially if you're used to eating items like cereal, toast, bagel, oatmeal, etc. Preparation is KEY to eating paleo and it is even more important with breakfast when you're in a hurry to get to work.
In my opinion, breakfast is the most important because it sets the tone of the day. I generally wouldn't skip breakfast but I am usually hungry. If I eat a big enough breakfast, I manage to stay feeling full throughout the day and as a result, make better choices around lunch, dinner, or the choice to skip a full meal.

We prep veggies and meats on the weekend so that we have enough for the week. Between me and JJ, we can go through up to 2 dozen eggs in a week. We throw in our omelets anything from chard, pepper, onions, bacon, salami, ground beef, sundried tomatoes... you can put ANYTHING in a scramble and it takes about 5-10 minutes to cook in the morning.
Don't forget to eat enough fats at breakfast: nuts, olive oil in your omelet... I've taken to drinking coconut milk in the morning to up the fats.

1 comment:

  1. Breakfast chili rocks too. As a non-paleo person I add beans, but they're not really required. And you can nuke it from a big bowl in the fridge, so it's super fast with few dishes.
    -beery
    ps - love the blog.

    ReplyDelete