Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Teeth

Sorry I've been neglecting my blog. Been a bit busy traveling for work.
I managed to stay pretty paleo last week... mild cheats: Korean food (meats were probably marinated with sugar) one night, half a glass of wine another night.

If you dread dentists like me, a relatively short and painless teeth cleaning session would be another reason to eat paleo. I first noticed that I had less buildup about 6 months ago. Hygenist compliments me on how clean my teeth are and I'll have to admit that I'm not even a regular flosser. Yesterday was my second teeth cleaning since going paleo and it was even less painful than the first. Hygenist looked genuinely surprised at how little she had to do. Other than some stains from coffee, I'm doing okay in that department :)

Here's a good meal idea that reheats pretty well: paleo shepherd's pie (adapted from Mark's Daily Apple



Ground beef
Diced veggies (I used onions, peppers, carrots, butternut squash)
Mashed/pureed root veggies (for the potato part, I used celery root and butternut squash)
Seasoning
Chicken broth (organic, low sodium)

- Cook onions until tender in olive oil. I did this in a dutch oven.
- Add ground beef. Cook until done.
- Season to taste: salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme... or use Kirkland No Salt Seasoning
- Add peppers, carrots, butternut squash. Cook until soft.
- Add chicken broth for flavour and moisture. To save it from being too liquidy, I didn't add too much as I skipped the coconut flour in MDA's recipe. Reduce.

Mashed/pureed veggies:
- Chop root veggies in smaller pieces. Boil until tender. Drain.
- Puree in food processor or use hand blender. Add appropriate amounts of butter (if you're not strict paleo). Salt and pepper to taste.

Extra steps that I didn't do:
- Put ground meat in pan. Spread pureed root veggies on top.
- Add some butter/oil. Make designs if you're creative.
- MDA says to bake 30-35 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comment: