Monday, May 21, 2012

NW CF Bellevue review


Northwest Crossfit is structured uniquely. There are three locations: Seattle, Ballard, and Bellevue and all follow the same WOD. On my first visit to NWCF Bellevue, Coach JoeP (also gym manager) handled a class of about 10 or 12 by himself. It worked out but probably a good idea to have another set of eyes. Post-WOD, he encouraged everyone to gather around and a few of us took turns with the prowler. It was a good interactive moment but by the end, everyone wanted to either go home and do their own thing so I didn't really meet any of my other wodmates. I chalked it up to being new (but that's no excuse!).
I haven't seen Coach JoeP since that first day. Coach K(ristina) and Coach Nick tag-teamed the rest of the 5:30pm classes I went to. Kristina gave a few tips pre-wod to the group sometimes and Nick came by to check on my form, often encouraging me to go heavier. Four-ish weeks later, I only knew two members by name despite seeing regular faces. I introduced myself to a couple of people at each class at my first couple of classes but gave up by the end.

What I liked:
- Large gym with decent amount of equipment (though they ran out of plates when the class size hit about 15 or so)
- Coach JoeP
- It was only a 10 minute drive from work (Unigard Campus)

What I didn't like:
- The number of 20+ minute WODs that showed up in a week... almost every day, week in and week out. No rest days programmed.
- I didn't understand the programming. Looking at the website, there's all sorts of other stuff: skill, strength, warm-up/mobility... I heard nothing about them in any of my classes.

At least this WOD is barbell-centered. Usually it's just 20+ min of body weight movements.

- Long warm-ups but was geared towards the WOD
- The culture didn't feel as friendly... only knew two members by name at the end of four weeks.
- I didn't see a single member cheer on anyone else after they were done with their WOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment