Monday, May 16, 2011

Fran

Breaking up the posts into twice a week since they're getting a little long.

Thursday, I went in to make up Monday's WOD. Fun stuff!
BS 3×3 at 125#. Need to remember to initiate with hips back. Good cues from Kelly.

Metcon at 60#: 7:14
Pullups unbanded and quick singles. I almost used 55# since I had such trouble with the 65# the previous day. Kelly called me out since she said it looked light. Yeah, it felt light too so I'm glad she got me to up the weight. Also got a good pep talk about pacing. No rip but got blood blister on the left hand and a regular blister on the right one.


Made up Fran (rx'ed) on Sunday. First morning WOD in a long time!
First time rx'ed (9/15/09: deadhang-Fran with 45# and green band at 8:32) so I was pretty happy to be able to do it. I had hyped it up in my head all week long and set a goal for sub 10 min.

I ended up with 11:00.

I'll be honest, I'm unhappy with that time. I don’t think I breathed on any of my thrusters, which caused the lactic acid burn to come on real early, resulting in a lot of time spent catching my breath. First set of thrusters at 7. Mostly in 3s starting in the 15-round. Had more press outs than I would have liked. Guess I torque a bit given that my right quad seems to be more strained than my left. I had to J-stick the crap out of my shoulder/back tightness. The press-outs from the thrusters really aggravated it.

Glenn's advice: don't try to catch your breath hunched over... "you're crushing your lungs".
Biggest weakness to work on: breathing through up/down stuff like thrusters, WBs, and burpees. If only I can get that breathing down, I'll be a lot faster through most of those movements.

JJ and I are doing our own version of a paleo challenge. No sugar, no grains for as much of the 30 days as possible. No planned cheats (except my parents will be in town this weekend and a wedding over Memorial weekend). Butter, salt, plain labneh, sweet potatoes will stay in our diet. Basically lots of meat and veggies plus high fats (coconut, olive, lard). I'm not doing the official challenge so I won't be posting my meals on a daily basis. My goal is a little more weight loss plus maintain/increase strength. Currently weighing in at 124# +/- 3# water retention fluctuation. Would like to minimize that swing.

3, 2, 1... go!

3 comments:

  1. Great work on your fran - I watched you working through it and I'm really looking forward to reading about your progress. Go Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. first rx'ed fran!! THAT is an achievement, donna, and something to be proud of. I'm sorry you didn't get the time you wanted - that is frustrating. trust me, fran's kicked my a$$ more times than I care to admit. But just remember - this week, you rx'ed one of the nasty girls. you rx'ed one of the toughest wods CrossFit HQ ever dished out. Next time... kick her a$$.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally agree with kerry! you'll be ready for it next time, and i can't wait to see you kill it!

    ReplyDelete