Monday, June 4, 2012

Thrusters and Push ups


Day 5 at Sasquatch CF

20 min of skill/strength: I chose to work on snatches and snatch balances at 65#
Metcon:
21-15-9
Thrusters at 65# (Rx was 75# - really??)
Dynamic push ups onto 25# plates (modded to knees and "walked" onto the plates instead of the dynamic push
11:39

Post-WOD: Kipping pullups and messed around with the butterfly movement

I have a mental block with thrusters and always seem to have trouble with them. I actually failed one today. I had to go singles starting midway through the second round! This is also much slower than my last Fran time (although close to my first ever Rx Fran). Conditioning-wise, I'm definitely not back at my peak but aim to get there.
The 20 min skill/strength at the beginning of the WOD is something Tim (the owner) and Trey (the morning coach) are experimenting with but as Tim admitted after my class, it got a bit chaotic, especially with 14 people and having one coach running two heats. I'm sure they want to incorporate more skill/strength work but also isn't quite sure what to do with the newbies. In addition, they don't want to post WODs online in advance for fear of scaring people away. I think back to CFC's days as a young box and we all had to learn somewhere. People get hooked because they love this stuff and the ones that come back won't be scared away because they have to learn new movements and skills. CFC was blessed with many great coaches who knew how to teach well (Rudy, if you're reading this, I still owe you a testimonial!) and these guys could probably benefit from having more coaching experience. Their hearts are in the right place and I'm sure they'll get there. Anyways, Tim and I talked a bit afterwards and I suggested posting the strength part online in advance with a video tutorial so people can have an idea about what it is they're going to be taught that day. They can still keep the metcon a surprise if that's what they're going for. Either way, I can only see benefit from being mentally prepared and even if someone did think it was crazy or hard to do, the people who love Crossfit won't care and will want to meet the challenge head on.

No comments:

Post a Comment