Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Peach Ice Cream


Non-paleo and indirectly related to CF post today. As you probably may have guessed, I'm not doing strict paleo but even though I eat butter, cream, and even drink an occasional half-glass of milk, I still watch how much I take in of that stuff.
Last night, I made peach ice cream with our brand new ice cream maker (from Costco - where else?). Erin's Mango Coconut Ice Cream inspired us to finally pick up one of these nifty machines (yeah, nifty). We didn't do the chill part as I didn't really have a lot of time but most of the ingredients were straight from the fridge anyway. This was what went in:
- 1 cup of grass-fed whole milk (Tradespoint)
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream (Organic Valley)
- 2 cups of chopped peaches mushed with a bit of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract

Mix it all together, pour it in machine, watch it churn for 25 minutes. Man, that was easy. I don't have a picture because it didn't look particularly interesting but it was pretty good even without any sugar.

It bothered me a bit that the cream I used in my ice cream was ultra-pasteurized and non-grass-fed but Kilgus Farmstead ran out of cream at the Green City Market this past weekend. Next time, my ice cream is going to be made with all grass-fed dairy!

For those of you who know me, food has always been near and dear to my heart. You can call me a snob if you like but high quality food that tastes good and is properly priced is important to me. It has always bothered me when chicken wings regularly had broken bones, eggs can cost less than $2 a dozen, bananas that look and feel like a banana and yet, doesn't quite taste like the bananas I knew from my childhood. The tipping point came when Crossfit and Omnivore's Dilemma resulted in a perfectly timed one-two punch to kick me out of conventional wisdom. Crossfit taught me to question whether conventional forms of exercising (running, ellipticals, etc) were really effective and Michael Pollan made me realize how far removed we are from our food sources. This led me to question all sorts of conventional wisdom as a whole and so I dug deeper...
Robb Wolf
Mark's Daily Apple
Criticisms of the China Study
Animal Vegetable Miracle

There is so much to learn out there and so much material that I am still trying to grasp what little material I have read so far. We currently buy most of our food from the farmers' market or Costco (I know, total opposites right?) and this summer, we started growing our own tomatoes and some herbs to try to eat as local as possible. I think I can ramble on more about why we are choosing to eat locally or why we will pay premium prices to buy eggs, meat, and dairy from the farmers markets but I think I will have to save that for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment