Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Working with injuries

Eileen's story is something I can relate to. What worries me is that I am not even in my 30s and this year has been more injury prone than ever. My body breaks down when I don't get enough rest/recovery and even when I do, I just don't know how to use the correct muscles to perform a movement properly.

Here is the list of mild/serious injuries from this year:
- Left hip (bad back squat form)
- Left shoulder (fell on it snowboarding)
- Left wrist (either from keyboard or HSPUs)
- Left foot (as described in yesterday's post)

Okay, it's gotta be some weird coincidence that it's all left side right?? I'm beginning to think that it's an imbalance in my strength. I never really trained for sports when I was a kid and when I did, it was skewed towards right-dominant racquet sports. Maybe my left side never caught up and it is struggling to keep up with CF. Maybe this is all just wild theories though it just seems plain bizarre.

Another thing I've noticed is that my brain can't seem to tell my muscles what they're supposed to be doing as weird as it sounds. People go to rehab to retrain their muscles... I never understood why the muscles never worked properly to begin with. Anyways, I think JJ has experienced this while re-teaching me tennis strokes. He's mentioned how he doesn't know how I don't hurt my elbow hitting a forehand the way I do and also with learning how to overhand serve in volleyball, my body never understands the power zone on contact with the ball.

DL 5-5-5+: 135-155-175(8) (1RM 220)

Death by Pullups (red): 11 rounds + 7 (73 pullups wow)

Post WOD – 3 x 20 cal row sprints (2 min rest): 1:19, 1:21, 1:21

Started icing my foot, which I will make an effort to do every night. Back on the fish oil. Hands are unhappy right now with the blisters. Back and shoulders are sore today but thank goodness they don't feel destroyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment