Friday, August 20, 2010

Pull!

My back is STILL sore from Monday. On top of that, left ball of foot didn't get any better so no CFE for me yesterday. Instead, I decided I'd tackle Wednesday's WOD. It would be my first pullup WOD in forever...

No snatch balance. Rudy said work on FS instead so I decided to try out FS 1RM. I was working on it thinking my 1RM was 145# but looking back I am surprised that I actually never did it before. It turns out 145# was some BS 3RM a long time ago. Oops.

FS 3x1: 83-103-125

I loaded on 140# since it was feeling okay though heavy. I took it off the rack and started to squat down and gave up without even getting half way. I didn't think I could get out of the bottom and didn't have weightlifting shoes. My wrist started to hurt with the 140# racked on my shoulders and I just mentally bailed. FS doesn't bother my hip but I still got scared. Excuses excuses...

Metcon: 9 rounds.
First 4 rounds with red band, then switched to blue band. Subbed pushups on knees for burpees (I hurt my foot from DUs on Monday). Just locked out the last pushup as time was called.

I promised myself that I would use the bands and do deadhangs but when it came down to it, I did do small kips just so I can save my arms/grip a bit to get 7 in a row. I think the bands do help take some stress off my shoulder though because it changes the angle of my pull so they're a little more like a ring row angle. Shoulders are holding up okay and no bad soreness.

I am actually enjoying these elbows in, narrow pushups. Even though I am still doing them on my knees, I think it's developing some strength in different muscles and it's saving my shoulder a bit too. By the last two rounds, it was tough getting 7 in a row.

After talking to Rudy post-WOD, he gave me a goal of trying to hit 8 unbanded deadhangs. I don't think I ever managed to do ONE before injuries so this will definitely be a bit of a journey but nice to have something to work on. I'm thinking I'll start with the blue band and do 3x10 as my post-WOD that doesn't involve arms. Otherwise, maybe try 10 in a warm up.

Mark Sisson discusses proper strict pullup/chinup technique. He makes some good points to remember.


Overall feeling pretty sore today but probably have enough to do baseline!

1 comment: